teamgonzo.net Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Windows 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    teamgonzo.net Forum Index » Help & Support View previous topic
View next topic
Windows 7
Bionic Commando

Post Reply with quote
Vista was so terrible, that I understand Microsoft people saying that their new product is "new XP"
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3332770
C4 Corvette, love her till my death.
Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:59 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
TriffiD
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
All right, I made my mind up about it. Windows 7 is quite ok. So, if you think about getting it, do so. If you want to use your XP till the very end its fine, too, unless you want to use the latest hardware. There is no feature in Windows 7 that I found yet, that I missed very much in XP. There are nice features in that Aero-thingy like when you shake a window, all the others disappear and there is a built in speech recognition that can be used to start programs and even dictate text. But I had Dragon Natually Speaking for that and it is better. Windows also tells you (sometimes), if there is a new driver for a device - nice, but... well.
Talking of Dragon, there are some problems that come from 1. Windows 7 and 2. 64bit architecture. Dragon e.g. states during installation that it won't work with 64bit. If you however edit the installer to simply override that particular restriction, it works just fine!?!
So there are some programs that you have to somehow convince to work. Others are simply too old. I used to use Micrografx PicturePublisher 8 and CorelDraw 6, when I had to do any designing. Those programs, fitting my sometimes special needs perfectly, are simply too old for W7. But I found an old CD from a computer magazine with PicPub10 on it and that one is still working. CorelDraw 11, which is reported to be working under W7-64, costs about 20 bucks on ebay. So you usually seem to find a solution.
The only two losses I really suffered from were Nero 7 (I had to update it to Nero 9 for 47,- EUR) and my good old Visual Studio programing environment (too old). I probably can however install the latter in my virtual XP.
The large majority of software works. You sometimes have to run it with administrative rights, but that is easy.

One last thing. When Windows XP came out, it helped me a lot that I could set it to classic look so that I had the old start-menu, I got used to and that was fine for me (I am an old git, you know). I could continue working like normal and get to know the new OS step by step. That is not possible in Windows 7. Compared to XP most of the things feel strange and new. I feel the urge to shout out "Oh, that one I know!" and point at it, whenever I see something familiar. I will get used to it and there are many (new) ways to make yourself comfortable.

Finally online: TriffiD's Astronomy Page
Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
merlin1991

Post Reply with quote
TriffiD wrote:
and my good old Visual Studio programing environment (too old).

get the newest Express Version? Razz

Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:01 am View user's profile Send private message
TriffiD
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
merlin1991 wrote:
TriffiD wrote:
and my good old Visual Studio programing environment (too old).

get the newest Express Version? Razz

Yes, you are right, of course, but I always liked to have a full featured product with no restrictions when it comes to database programming. I don't know about the latest Express versions, but I am pretty sure there is a nasty catch that will torture me in the future. Confused
Anyways - I have no real alternative unless I am willing (or rather able) to pay 600€ for the Professional update. So thx for the hint.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:15 am View user's profile Send private message
TriffiD
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I forgot to tell you: We tested Windows7 and XP on one computer. First installed XP and ran several tests, then we did the same with Win7 32bit. Result: Win7 is by approximately 9% faster than XP on an ordinary office-PC. Not very much, but it is faster. The test included graphics (though the card was not very good) and calculation speed. The difference in speed was about the same.
And one more thing about this virtual pc mode: I got more used to it now and you can start the software you installed under this virtual XP in win7 as if there was no virtual system running. Meanwhile I get along with 7 quite well. Some things may be strange but you get used to it. It seems to be a fine os after all.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:43 am View user's profile Send private message
FishFace

Post Reply with quote
Well, with my upgrade I am going to install Win7. Thankfully I don't need to worry about any of this "purchase" nonsense since my housemate already has downloaded and burnt a DVD of the Ultimate installer.

Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
TriffiD
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
FishFace wrote:
Well, with my upgrade I am going to install Win7. Thankfully I don't need to worry about any of this "purchase" nonsense since my housemate already has downloaded and burnt a DVD of the Ultimate installer.
German students get it for free. Dunno if it extends to all versions.

Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:39 pm View user's profile Send private message
gonzo|bull
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
well i got the free license from a m8.
win7 prof.
But i have now terrible lags. and yesterday it did not started anymore and i had to reinstall everything again.

And it is not possible to access the router over the browser. which is strange.

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:32 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
TriffiD
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
gonzo|bull wrote:
And it is not possible to access the router over the browser. which is strange.

That is strange, indeed. You can access the internet via the router, but cannot logon to it? You have tried to turn the router off and then on again? You are sure about the IP, the router is set to?

In the meantime I have installed win7 on three completely different PCs and had no problems at all. Not even when I was told to install a very old modem on a quite exotic USB-to-Serial adapter. Had to look for the drivers for the adapter, which was quite easy, but the modem was detected automatically and worked like a charm. The only thing that took a few days on my own PC was that there were no drivers for my Razer-Mouse, but that only took a few days and they published them.
I have to admit, though, that my ping went down from about 30 to about 50, too.

Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
gonzo|bull
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
did not try to turn it off and on. but perhaps i will.

well...i had a ping of 100 and 20fps after my second install of win 7.
now formated all of my hdd. did not install tce already.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:22 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
TriffiD
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
gonzo|bull wrote:
did not try to turn it off and on. but perhaps i will.

well...i had a ping of 100 and 20fps after my second install of win 7.
now formated all of my hdd. did not install tce already.

Umm - that sounds bad. But try to reboot the router and then address it over the IP (probably 192.168.2.1) rather than some fancy poppycock DNS thingy. Then check, if you got the latest drivers for the network card and whether all devices are detected correctly in the devicemanager or not. One other idea that comes into my mind is to plug in the LAN into another LAN-Socket. Many PCs have two Lan-Cards installed. One is quite simple and one is configurable like hell. If the settings or the drivers are wrong, however, it all might be fucked up. Try the other one. And check all cables and connections. Check you Internet-Speed at: http://www.wieistmeineip.de/speedtest/
A god new PC might do the trick as well... Rolling Eyes

Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:08 am View user's profile Send private message
gonzo|bull
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Well,

I did this silly speedtest.
Thats the result:

Something is wrong. I did it twice...

well this is of course the test from my work not at home. Smile

Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:08 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
TriffiD
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
gonzo|bull wrote:

Thats the result:

AHAHAHA - Nice. Then the solution is simple: Pack up all your things and move into your office.
wtf - what kind of connection is THAT?

Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:52 pm View user's profile Send private message
d3im0s
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
that connection is awesome Laughing

installed win7 ultimate 64-bit and it runs quite smoothly...still got some issues with deleting particular folders
(triff knows what I am talking about) but I hope that problem will solve...

the overall performance is good...win 7 seems to have a good multicore scaling.
still must get used to the new taskbar and interface...

Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:21 pm View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Reply to topic    teamgonzo.net Forum Index » Help & Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: