teamgonzo.net Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Geocache

Reply to topic    teamgonzo.net Forum Index » Help & Support View previous topic
View next topic
Geocache
TriffiD
Site Admin

Post Geocache Reply with quote
All right, I have a mission and need all the help I can get.
I have to plan a geocache. There are three groups that shall approach a given location in 3.5 hours time. The first to find the cache that I hid there, shall be the winner.
Now here are the problems:
1. I want them to start from three different places and I have no idea how far away from the target I have to put them that they get there in 3.5 hours. Does anyone know that?
2. I think I will make it several stations so that they do not have to simply walk all the time. So I will place additional caches (let's say 2) on each groups path with riddles they have to solve. I found several very hard and the same amount of very easy riddles. I need something in between.

Has anyone experience in that kind of stuff? Any different ideas how to make that fun?

Help!

Pretty please!

Finally online: TriffiD's Astronomy Page
Sat May 08, 2010 1:20 am View user's profile Send private message
Splinx

Post Reply with quote
http://forum.dasweltentor.de/index.php?action=printpage;topic=6895.0

Sat May 08, 2010 2:23 am View user's profile Send private message
Bionic Commando

Post Reply with quote
Place alcoholic beverages in the stations. That should keep them going.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3332770
C4 Corvette, love her till my death.
Sat May 08, 2010 7:52 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
SauBaer

Post Re: Geocache Reply with quote
TriffiD wrote:

1. I want them to start from three different places and I have no idea how far away from the target I have to put them that they get there in 3.5 hours. Does anyone know that?
!

well, I bet on either you take the walking speed, the faster walking speed or the jogging speed, whatever you expect them to do and put the s=v/t maths on it Cool

Quote:
2. I think I will make it several stations so that they do not have to simply walk all the time. So I will place additional caches (let's say 2) on each groups path with riddles they have to solve. I found several very hard and the same amount of very easy riddles. I need something in between.

If you put alcohol into the stations like bio said, dont forget that you´ll only be able to solve easy ones while drunk Very Happy

Quote:
Any different ideas how to make that fun?

time pressure is always good, maybe a big bonus for arriving in a certain time or if you dont want it to be a race, apply a time penalty for coming too early
Sat May 08, 2010 10:06 am View user's profile Send private message
TriffiD
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
In case anyone is interested: The cache took place last Saturday. It went pretty well.

I visited the location twice before and walked all in all 35 km to figure out paths that the three teams can walk (my feet still hurt). A day before the event I hid the caches. 3 for each team - with riddles where to find the next, and one final. Whoever gets to the final first, wins.
Each track was 5.4 km long and the three teams had reached their (different) starting positions by 15.20. So they had 2h40m to reach the destination - a restaurant where we were expected at 18.00.
Some hiding places were really hard. Each group had the same kind of cache container. First I collected 3 mushrooms that grew on the side of birches. I don't know the English word for those. I caved the mushrooms and put little plastic bags with the first riddle in it. Then I put a screw into a tree and placed the mushroom there. Looked stunning. Then I took three pieces of old wood I found and drilled (or rather milled) a big hole into them to place the second task in there. Finally I took some large pieces of bark, put the final riddle into a plastic bag and screwed the bark, with the bag behind it, to a tree of the same kind. Those last two hiding places where much easier. The teams took about 30 mins to find the first one, but only 5 to 10 to get the 2nd and 3rd.

Two of the three teams made it and reached the restaurant together at 17.55. They even had a race for the final cache (a big box that I simply put between the roots of an uprooted tree). The last group however failed to solve one riddle correctly and missed a hiding place. Then they started quarrelling and things went downhill. They reached the restaurant in time, yet directly, without having seen the final. Stupid tilers. Rolling Eyes

Everybody (well, at least 2/3) really had fun, and with the timelimit being hit so precisely, it was really successful and my boss was very pleased. Very Happy
If you ever get the chance to prepare such a thing, do it. I loved to think about cunning places to hide things in. Laughing

Finally online: TriffiD's Astronomy Page
Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:49 am View user's profile Send private message
Blueberry
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
that sounds pretty cool, especially those hiding spots seem very creative and hard to find without a good hint.

two or three years ago i organized a little "schnitzeljagd" (no gps) for my girlfriend where she had to collect all her birthday presents by solving riddles and stuff. even canoeing was involved. that was pretty much fun and a big success, which rewarded all the effort cause even though i didn't have to walk so much, it was really a lot of work. and i had to be carefull while hiding the presents, so nobody could steal them. Laughing

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:50 am View user's profile Send private message
Bionic Commando

Post Reply with quote
were the "things" alcoholic beverages?
Question

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3332770
C4 Corvette, love her till my death.
Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:30 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    teamgonzo.net Forum Index » Help & Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: