RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Fishy's Toad in the hole!

Reply to topic    teamgonzo.net Forum Index » Cook it baby! View previous topic
View next topic
Fishy's Toad in the hole!
Spliffy
Site Admin

Post Fishy's Toad in the hole! Reply with quote
OK! The moment you've all been waiting for. Making the batter isn't accompanied by photos, sorry... You'll survive. The following recipe is SUPPOSED to make enough for four meals. I used double and got 3 massive meals. Do the math. Weigh out 4oz plain flour with some salt into a bowl, make a well in the middle and crack an egg in. Mix it up. Now add about 1/2 pint of milk a little at a time, stirring in between (4oz = a bit more than 100g, 1/2 pint = a bit less than 250 ml) to make a thickish batter.

Now, preheat your cooker to 220°C. Take a roasting tray and put a generous slice of lard or dripping in there. Goose fat is better apparently, but I have dripping. Stick your tray in the oven to melt the fat while you do the potatoes. So, if you have a slow oven like me, do these bits first, if not, chop the potatoes first.

Boil a kettle. This is a kettle:

Then put a pan on the hob. Put your (boiled) water in the pan and turn on the hob, like so:

Simple so far. Now, while you're waiting for your water to boil, get some lovely tatties. (If you have a gas cooker, you'll want to do this first) If your tuberous root vegetable has little alien-like growths on it:

Hack them off. You don't want this to happen:

Now peel your potatoes:

And chop them up into halves for very small potatoes, or quarters for bigger ones. Plop your chopped potatoes in the (now boiling) water:

They need to cook for eight minutes. (We professionals call this parboiling - use your know-how to impress the impressionable) Whew, with all that technical nonsense, it's time to take a break.

Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:04 am View user's profile Send private message
Spliffy
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Once they're cooked, drain them into a sieve and chuck them around a bit. You want to roughen and fluffen up the edges of your tatties, which makes them crispier. Don't worry if some mash comes off on the sieve:

Now you want to have a hotplate/hob on and hot for the next part. Take the tray out of the oven and put it on the hob. The fat needs to be really hot. When it is, gently put the parboiled potatoes in - otherwise you splatter boiling oil everywhere, and nobody likes that. When the potatoes are in the tray, give them a good push around, and spoon some fat over them too, make sure they're covered all over:

If they don't sizzle like that when you put them in your fat's too cold, but there's nothing you can do about it now... Now for the gonzo part: SAUSAGE TIME. Whip 'em out. I've got two here, but I'm just one person. Do what you feel is right. Whack your sausage in a baking tray, big enough to hold your yorkshire pudding too:

That tray is actually too big, but it doesn't matter too much. Your sausages need to cook for 10 minutes. No time to grab a smoke though, you've got veggies to chop. I used a carrot and a parsnip, because they look so humorous:

Hahaha. You can use what you like though. The bottom one is a mutant, don't buy carrots that look like that. Once you've chopped them up into large chunks:

it's probably time to baste the potatoes. Get them out and put them back on the hob, whirl them around and make sure they're covered in fat still.
Now it's about time to do the yorkshire pudding. Put the potatoes back, get your sausages out, put the tray on the hob. If there's not much oil in there squirt some more in. Now pour your lovely batter in all around the sausages:

And back in the oven. They need to cook for another 25-30 minutes. You need to get your potatoes out every so often to baste them. Next time you do so, throw your vegetables in with them:

After 25 minutes this is what you get:

YUM. That was all for me, but that's not really normal. You lot have to think about your waistlines now you're getting old, and you might find you have people who want some of your sausage since it looks so damn tasty.

Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:04 am View user's profile Send private message
MONTANA

Post Reply with quote
yummy..yummyyyyyyyyyy

so can we have a cooking-section?

Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
yokfeedback

Post Reply with quote
It's that I never knew I must get it. I read I'm getting a lot more knowledge.
Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:04 am
Reply to topic    teamgonzo.net Forum Index » Cook it baby! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: